Today’s Meal Prep Monday is a deeelicious chicken, broccoli and rice casserole that is dairy and gluten free. (Don’t get me wrong….I love cheese and cream, but they just do NOT love me back.)
This yummy and super-simple casserole is also the perfect meal to have after a good workout. However, gyms are closed right now and many of you may be facing the reality of not being able to workout like you are used to. If you are one of the many people who are currently facing the temporary closure of your favorite workout spot, what are YOU doing to get active?
Well, I have a GREAT solution for you!
For the next 2 weeks (starting Monday, 3/30), I am offering you FREE ACCESS to our LIVE Zoom workouts, every morning at 6am CST.
All you have to do is download the Zoom app, click +join and use meeting ID 920 294 0253 to join the workout LIVE. There is ZERO equipment required and ALL ABILITY LEVELS are welcome.
If you are not a morning person, NO WORRIES, we are recording the live workouts. Email us at info@email@example.com and let us know you would like to be added to the list of people who receive the EXCLUSIVE link to the live replay of our home workouts, lead by our team of world-class instructors from my gym, Functional Effect Fitness & Rehabilitation.
If you want to see me make this week’s recipe, live watch the video from the AKOS Nutrition Facebook Group.
Meal Prep Monday: Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free Chicken 🐔, broccoli 🥦 & rice 🍚 casserole 🥘.
Posted by Sarah Fischer-Reynolds on Monday, March 30, 2020
Chicken, Broccoli & Rice Casserole (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free)
3/4 raw cashews
2 Tbsp. Ghee or Coconut Oil
1/2 medium onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 oz. (1 1/4 cup) cremini mushrooms, minced
2 Tbsp GF Flour
4 cups chicken stock, divided
2 tsp coconut aminos
1/2 – 1 tsp hot sauce, optional
1 1/2 cup dry rice – cooked with 3 1/2 cups chicken stock (in InstantPot or rice cooker)
2 cups diced chicken (I like to use a rotisserie chicken)
4 cups broccoli, diced into bite-size pieces
Salt and Pepper, to taste
2 cups crushed tortilla chips (I used Siete brand)
2 Tbsp melted Ghee or coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Pour 1 cup of boiling water over the cashews and let sit for 30 minutes while you chop ingredients. After 30 minutes, drain and rinse the cashews. Place them in a high-speed blender with 1/2 cup of chicken stock. Blend until completely smooth.
- In a 9×13 casserole dish, heat the ghee over medium heat. Add the onion, mushrooms, garlic, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook until softened, about 7-9 minutes. Distribute the flour over the mushroom mixture, stir and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- While stirring, slowly pour in 3 cups of the chicken stock. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 5 minutes, until thickened.
- Add the cashews to the sauce mixture along with the soy sauce and hot sauce. Remove from the heat.
- Stir the brown rice, chicken, and broccoli into the sauce. Season as needed with additional salt and plenty of freshly ground black pepper.
- Pour into a greased 9×13 casserole dish. Combine the corn chips with the ghee and sprinkle evenly over the top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until bubbly and golden on top.