Hello Friends, Happy 2021!
The holidays are over now, and there is a very high likelihood that between Thanksgiving and Christmas you are dealing with some kind of leftovers…..and they are probably of the turkey variety. If you are anything like me, you will put that turkey in the freezer with the best of intentions, only to pitch it in the garbage once it has reached a level of freezer burn that will render it inedible. Today, I am going to be sharing a recipe with you that I made live in my community group last year around this time. Leftover turkey cream soup!
If you want access to the archives for ALL of our Meal Prep Monday recipes, you can access them (and SO MUCH MORE!) by joining our VIP Coaching Group! We are kicking off the start of the coaching group on 2/1 with a 7-day preview which starts on January 18th. You can access the 7-day preview HERE!
I love simple recipes!
Not only is this soup amazingly simple to prepare, it is also 100% dairy and gluten free… which makes it a great potential choice for those with digestive health issues. If you are not a turkey lover, not to worry, this recipe is also amazing using leftover chicken, and it could be as simple as picking up a rotisserie chicken at your local grocery store!
Instant Pot Leftover Turkey (or chicken) Cream Soup
- 3 cups turkey (or chicken) – diced into bite-sized pieces
- 2 Tbsp. Ghee, olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 onion, diced (1 cup)
- 3 carrots, diced (1 cup)
- 3 stalks celery, diced (1 cup)
- 5-6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb. Potatoes (red, sweet), diced
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup full-fat canned coconut cream
- 1 cup cashews
- 2 Tbsp. Fresh thyme leaves
- 1 ½ tsp. Salt
- 1 ½ Tbsp fresh sage leaves, chopped fine
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
- Turn the Instant Pot to saute mode. Melt oil in the pot, and then add onions, carrots, and celery, stirring regularly. Cook until onions are soft, then add garlic and cook, stirring constantly until fragrant, about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Add potatoes, chicken broth, turkey, sage, and thyme to Instant Pot. Secure lid with the valve in sealing position and cook manual high pressure for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, add coconut cream and cashews to a high-speed blender. Blend until VERY smooth.
- Once the Instant Pot has finished cooking, use the Quick Release valve (be careful to make sure the valve is pointing AWAY from you!), release the pressure, and then open the Instant Pot and stir in the coconut-cashew mixture and add salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste.
(Slow cooker directions)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Saute the onions, carrots and celery until the onions are soft, then saute the garlic about a minute or until fragrant. Transfer the sauted mixture to your crockpot. Add the potatoes, chicken, broth, sage and thyme to your pot.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6.
- In the meantime, make the cashew-coconut cream as directed in the recipe. When the slow cooker time is up and potatoes are tender, stir in the cream and season with salt and pepper, to taste.