Although nuts and seeds can be an amazing source of healthy fat, they also contain substances that can cause digestive distress and interfere with the body’s ability to absorb nutrients. So today, I’m going to be teaching you why you may want to start soaking your nuts (and seeds) as well as show you how to do it!
Raw nuts and seeds contain moderate levels of a natural compound called phytic acid. Although the phytic acid helps to safeguard the nut or seed until germination can occur, when consumed by humans it impairs the absorption of iron, zinc and calcium. Because of this effect, phytic acid is often referred to as an anti-nutrient and has been known to cause digestive disturbances.
It is also important to note that phytic acid isn’t all bad. In certain levels, phytic acid can have a protective effect in the body. However, in order for this to happen it must be balanced by certain fat soluble vitamins and the body’s ability to absorb them.
Soaking your nuts and seeds in a simple water and salt solution along with low temperature dehydration will help to neutralize most of the phytic acid and make the nutrients contained in the nuts more more available to the body.
So, in short, if you are having digestive trouble, it’s safe to say that you would do great soaking your nuts and seeds.
Why (and how) you need to soak your nuts and seeds!
Posted by Sarah Fischer-Reynolds on Monday, May 18, 2020
How to Soak Nuts and Seeds
2 cups raw, organic nuts or seeds
4 cups warm, filtered water
1 Tbsp unrefined salt
- Place the warm water and salt in a large bowl with salt and let dissolve.
- Add the nuts or seeds and make sure they are fully submerged.
- Leave the bowl uncovered on the counter for at least 7 hours, up to 24.
- Rinse the nuts/seeds in a strainer and then spread on a baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven at the lowest temperature setting (most ovens go as low as 170), or dehydrate at anywhere from 110 – 150. This process can take anywhere from 12-24 hours, but it is important that they are completely dry in order to prevent molding.
- Place in an airtight container or enjoy immediately!