I often get asked what Meal Prep Monday is all about. Well, it started out of necessity, really. I have been hosting this segment for over a year now in the AKOS Nutrition Community Group on Facebook (and now on IG!), and they are by far my most watched videos I put out there. You’ll see by today’s chicken salad recipe, the goal of Meal Prep Monday is to provide my audience with gluten-free and dairy-free recipes that are not only going to satisfy your nutritional needs, but are incredibly simple to put together…and taste good too!
I remember back when I was first getting acquainted with the world of cooking without gluten or dairy. It was so overwhelming. There was so much information to sift through. Not to mention, there were a lot of recipes out there that were less than appealing to my palate (let alone the palate of a toddler). Over the years of trial and error, I have learned how to cook delicious food that is also nourishing and healing to the body. For the past 18 years, I have had the opportunity to share my passion for simple meal prep solutions with my fitness and nutrition clients, but I wanted to be able to get this information out into the world on a larger scale.
Starting Meal Prep Monday and the AKOS Nutrition Group was my way of doing just that. It’s a resource to help you avoid the hassel that I had to go through. The AKOS Nutrition Group and the Functional Effect blog give you a home for solid information on digestive health and a wonderful database of gluten and dairy-free recipes that have been tried, tested and family-approved!
Speaking of that, in this week’s Meal Prep Monday I am going to be sharing one of my FAVORITE summer recipes with you. My chicken salad recipe is gluten and dairy-free, paleo-friendly, Whole30-approved and delicious as a salad or in a wrap. It includes red grapes, celery and is pretty close dupe for the Sonoma Chicken Salad you can find at Whole Foods.
As always, let me know what you think!
AKOS Nutrition Chicken Salad
- 1 cup avocado/olive oil mayo
- 4 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 5 tsp raw honey
- 2 tsp poppy seeds
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 rotisserie chicken, skinned/deboned and chopped
- 2 cups red grapes, halved
- 2 cups finely diced celery
- 1 cup toasted pecans, chopped (optional)
- Combine all dressing ingredients together up to 2 days ahead of time. Store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Add chicken, grapes, celery and pecans into a large bowl.
- Pour dressing over top of dry ingredients and mix well to incorporate.
- Chill chicken salad and serve over a bed of crisp romaine lettuce or in a gluten-free wrap.